Sunday, 18 July 2010

Things I saw and went to in London this week

Wednesday saw me trip to London for the Brighton Photo Biennial 2010 launch at The Photographer's Gallery. This year it is being curated by legend that is Martin Parr and I can't wait to see it this October. Here are some sneaky shots from the Sally Mann show that was on at the gallery, which was beautifully awkward work.



Friday I popped into the Barbican to see a couple of the 101 things to do this summer. First was John Bock's new commission for the Curve. The installations were amazing and at the launch were the homes of Bock's characters which played out a very surreal and odd play which was projected further around the curve. I'm not sure I quite got it but I found the film very funny.



In the main gallery was The Surreal House - what a brilliant show! The blurb goes like this:

Step inside a labyrinth of chambers, designed by acclaimed young architects Carmody Groarke, and experience The Surreal House - its haunted rooms, delirious forms, blasted architecture and cinematic dreamscapes - featuring a host of artists, architects and film makers including Salvador Dali , Marcel Duchamp , Alberto Giacometti , René Magritte , Man Ray , Joseph Cornell and Maya Deren through to more contemporary figures, among them; Rebecca Horn , Edward Kienholz and Rem Koolhaas .

At times enchanting, playful and at others, deeply disquieting,The Surreal House is a dwelling that is essentially everything that the rational, functional Modernist house is not.

I enjoyed this show so much I bought a catalogue, I really enjoyed all the movies though sadly did not have the time to sit and watch them all on this visit, especially as they were showing La Belle et le Bete in full! And thanks to old friend Leon who cheekily got me and my friends in for free! Here are some snaps so you can see what its like.


Above - Freud's desk chair!



And on Saturday we went to Serpentine Gallery to see the Wolfgang Tillmans show and the new summer pavillion by Jean Nouvel, which got mixed reviews from the group I went with, go check it out and let me know what you thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment