Sunday, 28 August 2011

The Arsenale, Venice Biennale 2011

The Arsenale at the Venice Biennale is the space that usually interets me the most (reminds me of TROVE maybe) and this year I would probably say I didn't prefer it to some of the other offsite shows.

I did, however, see more than just a few gems there - and here they are...

The first para-pavilion at the Arsenale by Song Dong.


Next, the work of Rashid Johnson.

A table full of miniature buildings? yes please - Andro Wekua



Loved this para-pavilion by Franz West, particularly the funny and rude film (not photographed)...


Nicholas Hlobo's massive sculpture, I really wanted to touch it

I do love a cabinet, especially a really long with gorgeous illustrations in that are then accompanied by a video - Mariana Castillo Deball.

Some lovely photography by Jean-Luc Mylayne.

Swoon, another amazing Haroon Mirza.

I loved these benches - can't remember who made them, but my favourite bit about them was that they were always accompanied by a 'Please do not sit' sign

The amazing James Turrell - never disappoints.

Love, love, loved the pieces by Gerard Byrne!



I loved the pieces by Elisabetta Benassi, they combined the archive, imagined collections with an old technology.


Urs Fischer - wow, these burnt candle sculptures were incredible.


I was so pleased to finally get to see Christian Marclay's 'The Clock' - we spent an hour watching it (and could have stayed longer thanks to the comfy sofas but had a lot left to see), transfixed and playing guess the film, in our hour Robert de Niro seemed to feature quite a lot, loved it.



Not sure if I enjoyed this cloud more because of the cool water cloud it produced or just because it was fun...



Loved these - reminded me Gormley...


And finally the funny animation by Frances Stark.

No comments:

Post a Comment